Junior under 10 Programs
Waverley has focus on providing all junior players new to hockey the best opportunity to learn about the game and develop their skills for future participation in formal competition. Our aim is to provide a fun, engaging and safe environment for our under 10 age group to start their hockey journey, with a number of options available to suit all levels of experience.
Hookin2Hockey is designed for boys and girls aged 10 and under, but the skills can be modified to suit players of any age. Hookin2Hockey gives young boys and girls the opportunity to learn the basic skills of hockey, develop fundamental motor skills and make friends all while beginning their lifelong love of hockey. This program structure has been developed to help participants step through their hockey journey.
Under 8 & Under 10 competitions
The under 10 Half Field competition run by Hockey Victoria is for players who have previous hockey experience. This formal competition provides a final step in development prior to progressing to full field hockey competition in the older junior age groups. A few quick facts:
Waverley is a host venue for Hockey Victoria under 8s and under 10s competitions. This will see the kids who have previously participated in the Hookin2Hockey beginner program play 5-players-a-side matches. A few quick facts:
- Three 8 week seasons (Term 2, 3 & 4)
- All matches at the same venue (Waverley) from 8am or 9am
- Mini-carnival to be played against other regions at the end of each Term
- Played on a quarter pitch with 5 players per side for under 10s and 1/8th of a pitch for under 8s
- 20 minute halves (under 10s) or 18 minutes halves (under 8s), with 5 minute break between halves
- Basic skills development before each match
- The coach is allowed on the field during play to help with player development
- Weekly training held at the Waverley Hedley Hull Field for under 10s
- Players are required to purchase and wear a Waverley uniform
- Registration: Register here [WITH LINK]